Thursday, July 14, 2011

# 104 - My city burns and my heart bleeds

I live in Karachi, one of the largest cities in the world. 18 Million people, a hundred different cultures, the industrial and commercial centre of the entire country, torn apart by warring political parties with innocent civilians getting caught in the crossfire.

We have become so immune to this violence that we simply forget what happens from one day to the other. 

I have some pictures of my city, and you will not believe that this is the same place....on different days of the same week.










 

 
 


 
 


 


 











How much longer will this go on for? For how long can we remain resilient before we completely break down?

8 comments:

  1. Wow! It's so good to be able to see an "inside view" that isn't distorted by Western Media. In Australia, Pakistan is usually portrayed as a dusty desert country full of extremists and tent cities. Thanks so much for showing me (and indeed everyone else) the duality of Karachi - it's like the Los Angeles riots in the early 90s: peace in some parts, violence in others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed an agony. I am numb.

    You're so right with the immune part. It really doesn't affect us anymore. Like today my mother woke me up informing me about the riots going on in the city and how it has cancelled my plans for today. And my reaction was simply - AH! NOT AGAIN!

    Well, we can only pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karachi looks like Mogadishu on some days and in others it's as peaceful as Paris;(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is so shocking. I don't know what to say. I very much agree with the first comment on this post. It's so insightful to get an inside view of the city/nation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really very sad. Pakistan's eating itself up from the inside, and that makes me very sad.
    =/.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree with the first comment. Our media never shows what a modern and beautiful city Karachi is, only the violence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Everyone:

    Thank you for your comments. That is all I have to say :(

    ReplyDelete